The purpose of this statement is to give you an outline of how we obtain your personal information and how it is used by Blue Banyan. Please be assured that we take the issue of the privacy of your personal information very seriously and consequently we will only use customer data for legitimate business purposes.
Please note that as part of the ordering process our website captures information about you. We do not use any indirect means to collect personal information about you. By placing an order on our website, by subscribing to our mailing list or by submitting enquiries to Blue Banyan you are agreeing to the use of your personal information.
It is our policy that any information which you provide to us or that we obtain in the course of our dealings with you may only be used for the following purposes:
- to fulfil our agreement with you, including administering any accounts, processing and obtaining payment;
- to inform you (by mail, telephone, e-mail, text message or otherwise) about products and services (including those of other companies within the Blue Banyan group of companies) which we consider may be of interest to you;
- in exceptional circumstances for fraud prevention and detection.
Blue Banyan and its owners will not give or sell your information to 3rd Parties other than for the purposes of processing your payments and fulfilling your orders. We do not store credit/debit card or any other payment details
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- contact information including email address
- demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
For the exhaustive list of cookies we collect see the List of cookies we collect section.
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use the information to improve our products and services.
- We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
- if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at email@example.com
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to Blue Banyan Trading Ltd Unit 2 Fferm Workshops Wrexham Road Pontblyddyn Mold Flintshire CH7 4HN.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
The table below lists the cookies we collect and what information they store.
|COOKIE name||COOKIE Description|
|CART||The association with your shopping cart.|
|CATEGORY_INFO||Stores the category info on the page, that allows to display pages more quickly.|
|COMPARE||The items that you have in the Compare Products list.|
|CURRENCY||Your preferred currency|
|CUSTOMER||An encrypted version of your customer id with the store.|
|CUSTOMER_AUTH||An indicator if you are currently logged into the store.|
|CUSTOMER_INFO||An encrypted version of the customer group you belong to.|
|CUSTOMER_SEGMENT_IDS||Stores the Customer Segment ID|
|EXTERNAL_NO_CACHE||A flag, which indicates whether caching is disabled or not.|
|FRONTEND||You sesssion ID on the server.|
|GUEST-VIEW||Allows guests to edit their orders.|
|LAST_CATEGORY||The last category you visited.|
|LAST_PRODUCT||The most recent product you have viewed.|
|NEWMESSAGE||Indicates whether a new message has been received.|
|NO_CACHE||Indicates whether it is allowed to use cache.|
|PERSISTENT_SHOPPING_CART||A link to information about your cart and viewing history if you have asked the site.|
|POLL||The ID of any polls you have recently voted in.|
|POLLN||Information on what polls you have voted on.|
|RECENTLYCOMPARED||The items that you have recently compared.|
|STF||Information on products you have emailed to friends.|
|STORE||The store view or language you have selected.|
|VIEWED_PRODUCT_IDS||The products that you have recently viewed.|
|WISHLIST||An encrypted list of products added to your Wishlist.|
|WISHLIST_CNT||The number of items in your Wishlist.|
Blue Banyan aims to trade in a way which supports a sustainable global and local environment and economy.This means in practice that where it is possible and practicable to do so we use certified organic materials and products and (where relevant, possible & practicable) source from Fair Trade suppliers.
We prefer organic products because of their environmental benefits over conventionally-produced materials (for example, no use of harmful chemicals, recycling principles, waste minimisation). We prefer certified organic products so that both we and you can be sure that the products really are organic - it is unlawful to claim to be organic without being certified and certified producers have to undergo stringent and regular inspections to gain and maintain their organic status.
We support certified Fair Trade products because the scheme offers producers in developing economies a guaranteed price at a fair level and builds long-term trading relationships with producers in order to readdress the power imbalance between small, relatively poor producers in the developing world and large, relatively rich purchasers of the developed economies. The Fair Trade Foundation awards its certification mark to products which meet the following criteria:
- Price to the producer covers cost of production plus social premium to be used to improve living and working conditions
- Advance payment to provide debt protection
- Long enough contracts for producers to allow for planning and sustainable production practices
- Democratic organisations for farmer participation
- For workers, freedom to join trades unions, decent wages, housing and health & safety standards
- No child or forced labour
- Programmes for environmental sustainability.